Only remaining original town structure
Old Railroad Crossing
Perhaps the busiest small town in the west
Occupied Historic Town
Not quite a ghost town, yet the history of Altamont California is rich indeed. Native American Indians and prospectors used the route between Livermore and Tracy now known as the Altamont pass as a trade route. As California's population grew, so did travel through this popular route linking the San Joaquin Valley with the Bay Area. In 1853 the transcontinental railroad paid land owner Robert Livermore $5.00 for the right to build and operate the railroad on his lands. Soon after a railway station and hotel were built to accommodate travelers. In 1915 the Lincoln Highway was routed through the pass and the farming town of Altamont grew congested overnight. The pass and town continued to be used as a place of trade by vegetable and fruit farmers from the Valley and the Bay Area as well as moon shiners during the prohibition era.
Although Bustling, the towns population never exceeded 50 residents, and consisted only of a few buildings which included; a Hotel, Auto - Farming Equipment Repair Shop, a Church and School house. The town suffered its first blow in 1928 when the Lincoln Highway was rerouted through Vallejo, California. The railroad pulled up stakes soon after. Finally in 1938 the Altamont Pass Highway was built, and bypassed the town of Altamont altogether. Today only the Auto repair shop remains. The Hotel stood abandoned for years before it was torn down for safety reasons, and the school house had burned to the ground years earlier.
Today the town of Altamont has slipped back in to slumber. Nothing really left of its previous popularity.
|Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.|