CONWAY RANCH CALIFORNIA
Family of Professional horsemen
Unoccupied Historic Ranch
Circa 1903 to Unknown
The land which comprises the Conway Ranch on the Mono Basin was purchased by the Conway family in 1903 from a relative of Anna Currie, the former owner of Goat Ranch located just east of there. The Conway's were known horse experts who in 1907, began a freight and stage operation between Lundy and Bodie sometime after the Hector Stage Station had seized operations. They opened their home to travelers providing meals and a place to rest and dust themselves off. Shortly after their oldest son had become of age, he was parceled a piece of the family's land where he constructed a separate spread and proceeded in the family horse business. In the later 1900's most of the nearby mining towns were either in decline or abandoned.
Ranchers on the Mono Basin, unable to take their produce or live stock to profitable market began to suffer. Many sold off their land and or water rights to the city of Los Angeles, who were on a quest to provide its growing population with water.The Conway's, in order to protect their land, eventually sold to the State of California which promised to protect their land. Years of civil unrest followed, but to this day the land stands in tact.Descendents of the Conway family claim that the Conway pass which neighbors the land, was given its name by workers who were fed and housed by Ms. Conway during its construction. They also report that Ritchie Conway passed away while living in Bishop California, His ranch house was moved there some time later and situated at the railroad museum. The original Conway ranch house still remains as well as a shed. There is also a shed and bunk house still standing at the Ritchie Conway Spread approx 1/4 mile to the east.
1900's Conway Ranch Courtesy of Mono Basin Historic society
View of Conway Ranch from the North
Shed at Richie Conway's Spread
Bunk House at Richie Conway's Spread
Front Side of Conway Ranch House
Interior view of Conway Ranch House. We believe this was the living or sitting room