DUTCH CLEANSER MINE CALIFORNIA
Squeaky Clean Diggings
Unoccupied Historic Mine Site
The Dutch Cleanser Mine, also known as the Old Cudahy Dutch Cleanser Mine, was founded in 1923 by the Cudahy Company. 12 men worked the mine for Cudahy producing 100 tons of pumicite a week. During the depression era, the mine was worked by Mexican miners who agreed to work for lower wages.
A rail tram was later built to transport the pumicite to lower elevations where it would be transported to the southern pacific railroad a few miles to the south. Overall, the mine produced 120 thousand tons of cleanser powder before it was closed in 1947.
Today pumicite is used as an additive in cement and paint as a non-skid surface.