A Vast Farming Community
Occupied Historic Town
Farmington California was founded in 1859 by WM Sanderson. The area was actually settled as early as 1848 by David Wells and George Thayer who left Oregon and established over 300 acres of land for framing. They named their spread Oregon Ranch¯. In 1858 WB Stamper arrived and purchased the land that now comprises the Farmington town site. In the following year he sold the land to David and WM Sanderson who immediately erected a blacksmith shop and hotel. A general store soon followed at the hands of other entrepreneurs. The Oakdale Railroad arrived in the early 1890's as well as two more hotels, a second merchandise store, a livery stable, two additional black smith shops, a couple of churches and a school house.
|Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.|