PINE GROVE NEVADA
Silver and Gold
Ghost Town - Unoccupied
Circa 1866 to 1918
Pine Grove was founded after
William Wilson discovered the Pine Grove Mine in 1866. Situated on a shelf in
the Pine Grove Hills, the area probably derived its name from the Pine Pinions
that occupy the area. In 1868 another prospector located and founded the
Wheeler Mine. Soon two large mills and an arrastra were built to support the
amount of gold and silver ore being extracted from the two successful mines.
By 1880 the mines had appeared to play out and most of its residents had moved
on. There were revival attempts between 1900 and 1910, but none worthy of
stabilizing the town's occupancy. The tailings were worked on a small scale up
until 1918 before the area was completely abandoned.
Mine Head frame at Pine Grove