Anna Rechelís Paradise
Unoccupied Ghost Town
Rawhide is the result of lone prospector Jim Swanson who discovered gold here during an expedition on Christmas day in 1906. The camp was named by Charles (Charley) Holman who joined Swanson two months after the find. A third prospector, Charles (Scotty) McLeod from Aurora also joined them. McLeod staked claims on present day Holligan Hill southwest of Swanson’s Rawhide camp. Word of the gold strike soon reached the surrounding towns and a rush for Rawhide was underway.
In 1907 a post office was opened followed by a stamp mill. As Rawhide continued to grow, so did the concern over the lack of water available in the area. Water was hauled in by wagon from Dead Horse Well at .5 cents a gallon. There were attempts to pump water in to town and store it in large water tanks, but those attempts were not very successful.
However, Rawhide did have telegraph services and a long distance telephone line. During the towns climax it boasted three banks, two newspapers, mail delivery and auto stage lines to Schurz, Fallon and Mina. The Mono Lake Power Company provided electricity to Rawhide’s mines. Eventually, larger mining operations bought interests in to Rawhide pushing the smaller prospector out. Many abandoned Rawhide for more favorable circumstances and the town dwindled. Larger mining operations came and went over the next several years attracting mine employees in and out of the fading town. But one resident, Anna Rechel remained. She continued mining her interests and surviving off her finds. She had adapted to the hard life of a miner and turn of the century frontiers woman. Anna remained in the abandoned town until her family relocated her to Fallon in the 1960’s following incidents of vandalism and rumors that Charles Manson was frequenting the area. Today just about nothing remains at Rawhide. More recent attempts at mining from larger mining operations have obliterated the town in their attempts to find gold.
For more on Rawhides Anna Rechel and her legacy; Click Here For more on the history of Rawhide, or to support the current efforts underway to restore its rich history; Click Here
Rawhide in 1908, Courtesy of www.rawhidenevada.org
Rawhide in 1949, Courtesy of www.rawhidenevada.org
Rawhide in the 1950's, Courtesy of www.rawhidenevada.org
Now we know who stole Rawhide
Rawhide in its current form
Mine at Rawhide, Don't let the small opening fool you!
The shaft was actually quite deep