Ghost Town Explorer
spacer
spacer
ROCKLAND NEVADA
Suburbs of Pine Grove

Unoccupied Ghost Town
Lyon County
Circa 1868/69 to 1934

The town of Rockland was founded after a Pine Hill Resident by the name of Keene, found a vein of silver while exploring about 4 miles to the South. A mill was built near the mine, but Keene apparently had funding issues and was forced to shrink operations considerably. Probably named for its rocky environment, Rockland's original boom only lasted about 3 1/2 years. The post office that opened in 1870 closed its doors by 1872 as the town was in decline. There was a WWI revival and smaller returns in to 1934, but nothing near the towns original founding.

Interesting enough, the current roads in to Pine Grove and Rockland from the East were not built until 1904. The original road and access to the outside world was from the west in to Pine Grove Canyon. Stage and freight services from Wellington and Sweetwater utilized this approach consistently until the towns declined. Today the original road is over grown with brush and virtually non-existent.

 

Ghost Town Explorer

 

spacer
   spacer
   Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.
DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript