Ghost Town Explorer
spacer
spacer
TELEGRAPH CITY CALIFORNIA
Listen and you will learn grasshopper...

Occupied Ghost Town
Calaveras County
Circa 1860 to Unknown

Originally called Grasshopper City, It was in the surrounding hills that a prospector and his 10 year old son discovered Copper in 1860. They immediately staked their claim on Hog Hill naming it after the son Napoleon, and began extracting the red colored ore. Once word was spread of the discovery, prospectors and the like were arriving everyday. A township was formed besides a creek just off the main trail to Angles Camp. These hills are very green during the early spring and in to the summer months, had the name derived because of the grasshopper concentration in the area? Sometime In 1861 the name was changed to Telegraph City, maybe due to the telegraph line that ran through the town stretching from Stockton to Sonora.Today there are some foundations where buildings once stood as well as some remnants of ranching activity. All the mines are inaccessible and on private land.

According to death records, there are three locales associated with Telegraph City in which humans have been buried after death. They are indicated as Beardslee, Napoleon Mine and Shafer Place.

 

Ghost Town Explorer     Ghost Town Explorer
All that remains are crumbling foundations


Ghost Town Explorer


Ghost Town Explorer

 

.

 

spacer
   spacer
   Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.
DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript