Ghost Town Explorer
spacer
spacer
Tres Pinos California
Three What?

Occupied Historic Town
San Benito County    
Circa 1848

Spanish Settlers settled the land that comprises San Benito County long before white settlers arrived in the area. Large Farms and Ranches littered the area. In 1848 following California's State Hood, the Spanish land barons reapplied for land grants and began supplying the much needed Hay and beef to California's growing population. In 1873 the Southern Pacific Railroad arrived and built a station in the valley just South of Hollister to transport the much needed Hay and Beef to market. A town was formed and Tres Pinos came in to existence. Outfitted with hitching posts, wooden sidewalks and large false front buildings, Tres Pinos became a popular shipping town. Main Street down town consisted of several stores, saloons, storage barns and a large hotel. Miners working claims to the south in New Idria depended on Tres Pinos where they came to retrieve supplies and equipment. In 1944 the Rail Road pulled up stakes and Tres Pinos quietly faded in to the countryside. Today Tres Pinos consists of a small residential neighborhood and a hand full of road side businesses like antique shops and restaurants. Visitors consist of tourists on their way to the Pinnacles National Monument, off road enthusiast headed for Clear Creek and Bikers enjoying the winding roads to the south.

 

Ghost Town Explorer

 

spacer
   spacer
   Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.
DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript